Pages

FamilyFun Holiday Challenge: Day 29 Slow-Cooked Chili Recipe


 Isn't chili the perfect meal on a cold winter day? I love eating chili but I had never made it from scratch before. FamilyFun's Slow-Cooked Chili Recipe looked easy enough for a chili making beginner like me.

Slow-Cooked Chili from FamilyFun

1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 pound stew beef, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
2 tablespoons chili powder (I didn't have chili powder so I used taco seasoning)
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons flour
1 large onion, chopped
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small green or red bell pepper, chopped (I used 1/4 cup dehydrated green and red bell pepper mix)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
16-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
16-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
28-ounce can diced tomatoes (I used a quart of homegrown and canned tomatoes)
1 1/2 cups beef broth (So I actually made the broth using leftover beef flavoring packets from Ramen)
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce (I used Kraft Thick N' Spicy Brown Sugar)
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
Sour cream, chopped fresh parsley, or chopped red onion for garnish

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meat and brown it for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add the chili powder and cumin and let the spices heat for 1 minute, stirring all the while. Stir in the flour and let the mixture cook for 1 minute more.

Transfer the meat mixture to a large slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients (except for the garnishes), and stir well. Cover the cooker and let the mixture cook for 6 to 8 hours on the low setting, stirring occasionally. If necessary, thin the chili with a little water or stock as it cooks. Serves 8.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This dish was a snap to throw together in the crockpot. I was a little disappointed in the thickness of the chili, it was a little too soup-like for my taste. Digital Man assured me that some chilis are supposed to be more soupy though.


The kids did not eat this for dinner. I thought the chili would be too spicy for them so Digital Man and I were the only ones to enjoy this Slow-Cooked Chili Recipe.

Rating: I give this recipe 3 fingers. It tasted fine, but wasn't nearly as good as the stuff my dad makes. I asked Digital Man how many fingers out of 5 he would rate the chili. This was his response, "If it were a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give it a 7. So I don't know how that would translate..."
Umm, that was helpful wasn't it? I guess I must be feeling up to a challenge though, because I actually did the math. According to my calculations, Digital Man's ranking translates to 3 1/2 fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I {L.O.V.E} comments! I read and value each one. Thanks for taking the time to let me know what you think!