Pages

Silk Tie Dyed Eggs Tutorial

I can't remember whether I stumbled upon the idea of using silk ties to dye eggs in FamilyFun Magazine or on Martha Stewart first, but both have shared the concept.  All I know is that I have been wanting to try it out for years.  I even had some silk ties purchased from thrift stores and yard sales stockpiled for just this purpose (Note the pic below is not of those ties, sorry).

Picture of Silk Ties from Hermes                                                          Image via Wikipedia

Finally, this year I did it! It was sooooo EASY and the eggs turned out beautifully! (When Digital Man saw the first ones that I made, he thought that they were professionally done, and wanted to know where I got them. HeeHee!).

You will need the following:
  • 100% Silk Ties
  • Scissors
  • Rubberbands
  • Eggs
  • A big pot with lid
  • Water
  • Stove

1. Pick out all the stitches from the ties using your scissors. Some ties will have an off-white tie fabric inside, which you can throw out. All you want is the silk fabric.

2. Cut the silk tie fabric into as many pieces large enough to fit around your egg as possible (You will probably be able to get 3-4 pieces per tie.)


3. Smooth and wrap one fabric piece around the egg as tightly as possible. Fasten together with a rubberband.


4. Place tie wrapped eggs into a big pot and fill with water. You will want the water to come an inch above the eggs. You will probably only want to do one tie pattern at a time because the colors do tend to bleed out into the water.


5. Put pot of water covered eggs on the stove. Bring water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, remove pot from heat. Immediately cover pot with lid. Let pot sit for 18 minutes. Then fill pot with cool water to stop the eggs from cooking and to help cool them.


6. When the eggs are cool enough to handle, unwrap the eggs carefully. Let them dry.


Voila! Exquisite Eggs!
EDIT:It has been pointed out to me that the dyes used for fabric may not be suitable for consumption. If the dye goes through the shell, you might not want to eat it.

 Related articles

I'm linking to:
Katie's Nesting Spot

8 comments:

  1. Exquisite is right!! Those eggs are beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO glad you posted this! I saw these somewhere out there but it was a bit unclear HOW they did it! My college girls and a friend are coming home and I told them we were going to do this tomorrow so NOW I know EXACTLY how to do it!! These really are stunning!! Off to the thrift store to get the ties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys! Lauren, I am glad that this tutorial is helpful to you! I'd love to see how you and your girls eggs turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I JUST got my ties at the thrift store -- came back to read through it again and make sure I have everything set! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are amazing!! I've never seen or heard of this before. Now I wish I had stocked up on some vintage silk ties! Thanks so much for sharing. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! I have never heard of this or seen it done - will bookmark this for next year's egg dying - my big girls need something a little more "cool" than just regular egg dying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is crazy, and amazing! I had no idea eggs could look so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

I {L.O.V.E} comments! I read and value each one. Thanks for taking the time to let me know what you think!