Pages

FamilyFun Holiday Challenge: Day 32 Sticky Hands Warm Heart

When I started out my FamilyFun Holiday Challenge, I expected to blog about Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's holiday ideas. I soon discovered that our busy life made 62 consecutive days not realistic. 

So I am still blogging FamilyFun holiday ideas, but now I am going to post some of the Valentine's ideas we have done. Hopefully, I can get several posts up this weekend so that you still have time to try them out yourselves for Valentine's Day.


Sticky Hands, Warm Heart is a cute and basic yarn craft found in the February 2011 issue of FamilyFun Magazine (page 24).


First you cook a cornstarch glue using cornstarch and water. It took a while before the glue became thick and translucent. When it finally did, it all happened at once and I had a very hard time keeping the mixture blended without cornstarch lumps. The glue was the probably the consistency of rubber cement and kindergarten paste mixed together (I don't know anything about chemistry, and I am not recommending that you actually mix those glues together. It does not sound like a good idea). It was very challenging to spread the glue on yarn.



I did this project with Cyber Princess and I ended up coating the yarn with glue because the process was too frustrating for her. I guess it is possible that I made the glue wrong, but if we were to do something like this again, I would consider using paste, or some other glue. I really hated the cornstarch glue....


I just noticed a little note on the bottom of the page that says you can stir in additional hot water if the glue gets too gel like, it probably would have helped if I had noticed it earlier ;)


Rating: I give this project 2 fingers because of my cornstarch glue frustration. Cyber Princess gives this project a 4. She enjoyed filling the heart shapes with layers of yarn and the finished hearts turned out pretty cute


No comments:

Post a Comment

I {L.O.V.E} comments! I read and value each one. Thanks for taking the time to let me know what you think!